The ideal candidate will have strong insights on the South African Textiles and Chemical Industry, with excellent industry knowledge & has developed a strong network of contacts.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage and grow the existing business and acquire new business in Sub-Saharan Africa, thereby growing The Company in this new market. This will entail customer visits in the field.
- Build a robust opportunity pipeline.
- Build an awareness of The Company’s emerging presence by:
- Being a strong ambassador / educator internally within the The Company organization
- Externally: Developing strong customer alliances and promoting the presence of The Company in this category via participation at key industry events (e.g. tradeshows, seminars, conferences)
- Provide commercial leadership in developing The Company’s growth plans into the consumer chemicals, food & cosmetics industry.
- Identify emerging trends, develop insights on how The Company can participate in the growth of this sector, either via organic (internal) developments, or targeted strategic acquisitions
- Customer Knowledge and Awareness. Knows and understands each assigned customer’s product line, business, service expectations, order requirements and potential ingredient list. Collaborates with the sales owner on issues, forecasts and opportunities.
- Handle all continuing correspondence and communicates with the customer to keep them fully informed about service related issues.
- Inventory Requirements. Work with the customer for the purpose of obtaining forecasts, communicating lead-times. Collaborates with demand planning and sales owner to set appropriate inventory levels. Processes sample requisitions as needed.
- Pricing. Provides pricing in accordance with company pricing strategies to arrive at delivered sales price.
- Field Sales Support as needed Processes new account forms, sample requests, sourcing requests and a variety of activity in support of business growth.
- Resolution of customer complaints in conjunction with Quality Control & Finance Departments
- Take part in monthly Sales meetings & provide input/ feedback for quarterly Regional Business Review
- Provide monthly sales forecast as well as annual sales budget.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Analyzing market trends to develop the company’s market and competitor intelligence.
Attributes of the ideal candidate:
- Exposure to Product & Process Development, R&D, Technical Services domain.
- Confident and presentable communication manner combined with Sales & Business acumen.
- Attentiveness to detail as well as ability to keep an overview and see the big picture.
- Business fluency in English.
- Driven and highly motivated to get out in the field to unearth new growth opportunities.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong execution skills yet displaying the potential/ability to adopt a strategic approach.
- Strong ability to work via multiple internal stakeholders in a matrix structure.
- Commercially driven with an aptitude to deliver business growth.
- Ability to effectively resolve issues in a timely manner using sound judgment, critical thinking, decision-making, and influencing skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with customers and team members, and to proactively manage customer relationships.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and multi-task.
- Initiative, flexibility and adaptability.
- Willing to learn about the Company’s key business areas and products in order to provide backup to other Sales Managers & SCM team.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- A degree or diploma in a scientific field, such as Chemical Science, Chemistry or Engineering, such as Chemical Engineering, etc.
- A minimum of 6 years marketing & sales experience within the food raw material or related industry selling chemicals or food ingredients is essential, preferably with strong Managerial experience.
- High performer with a strong track record in delivering sales growth.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Experience with SAP & Business Warehouse an advantage
- Travel, including overnight or longer will be required.
- Valid Driver’s license