Our Client is a huge player within the Telecommunications Industry and is entering a new phase where operational and commercial excellence has become critical for success. The urgency for change has become more heightened amidst increased competitive intensity across all markets in which it operates. The incumbent of this position must therefore ensure the successful delivery in context of:
- An expertise-based multicultural organisation
- A dynamic and evolving field of Telecommunications
- Revolutionary workforce practices which are bringing together global labour markets
- Management of executive and local shareholder expectations across the Company and its OpCos
- Achievement of top quartile operating efficiency and effectiveness through scale and common policies and processes
- Dynamic legal and regulatory environment
Duties & Responsibilities
The role of the Decision Scientist is to leverage internal and, where applicable, external datasets to build and evolve, using “best practice” methodologies and statistical techniques, the Company’s Prediction / Scoring as a Service capabilities and credit risk management strategy within and across the Company’s territorial footprint.
Prediction capability includes, but is not limited to, the development, performance and evolution/iteration of:
- Application Scorecards
- Behavioural Scorecards
- Fraud Models, using Machine Learning techniques
- Bad Debt Provisioning Models
- Profitability & Revenue Models
The Decision Scientist is responsible to support the GM, Product Owner and Credit Risk SM’s respective strategies and the associated product/roll-out roadmap, taking direction and guidance for the SM Decision Science to ensure prioritisation and standardisation of deliverables.
The Manager is also responsible to contribute towards the Company’s operational performance, both at a product portfolio and OpCo level.
Desired Experience & Qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science or related field
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science or related field
- A Postgraduate qualification/ Certification in Data Science, Advanced Analytics, Machine Learning, Statistical Inference or Deep Learning will be advantageous.
- At least 5 years’ experience in building large scale logistical regression / machine learning prediction models in a highly data driven environment, preferably within a Financial Services / Consumer Finance concern, in a senior technical capacity
- Experience with technical and commercial implementation of predictive logistical regression / machine learning prediction models, i.e. application, behavioural, fraud, revenue, attrition, etc.
- Prior experience in Financial Services preferred, with experience within the telecom industry and with Mobile Money being an added advantage
- Understanding emerging markets advantageous
- Worked across diverse cultures and geographies is advantageous
- Pan Africa multi-cultural experience is advantageous
- Attitude of Innovation, inventiveness and thought leadership